Grammar School WPA-Built AdditionThis building is the WPA constructed addition to the original schoolhouse. Source: screen capture - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqhepdBOWac © All Rights Reserved
The Walnut Creek Grammar School operated from 1871 to 1956 to serve a sparse rural population of 1,014 (1930 Census). After being torn down and the hill razed, a plaque marking the former location at Plaza Esquela downtown can be located at the Cheesecake Factory.
WPA Project No. 465-03-2-646, App. Date May 26, 1938, $19,329, Total Funds $34,480, Average Employed 43, Federal Man-Hours 20,484, Sponsor: Walnut Creek School District, “Construct classroom addition to the Grammar School building, including heating and electrical facilities, in the town of Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, and perform work appurtenant and incidental thereto. Project also includes remodeling present building. Walnut Creek School District owned property. In addition to projects specifically approved.”
WPA Job Cards, Fresno Public Library, San Joaquin Valley Heritage & Genealogy Center.
Walnut Creek Grammar School: (https://walkwc.oncell.com/en/119-walnut-creek-grammar-school-108434.html), accessed November 4, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on November 4, 2018.