The Bureau of Public Roads provided funds for the separation of “Creamery Road” (now Rte. 46) and the railroad in Great Meadows, New Jersey. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era.
New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners: “A “Works Program-State Highway Department” project on which the Board initiated proceedings and on October 8, 1935, issued an order to eliminate the grade crossing Contract for construction was let by the State Highway Department in September, 1936, and construction was completed in January, 1937. Funds from the Bureau of Public Roads were allotted to meet the entire cost of construction. The State and the Railroad Company shared equally the costs of land acquired.”
New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners, 1937 Report (pg. 70): http://dspace.njstatelib.org:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10929/33076/1937.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (accessed Mar. 2018)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 26, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE