Governor's Mansion circa 1906
Governor’s Mansion, constructed 1839-1842 in Greek Revival style, was “redecorated” in 1935. Architect Albert hays Town was involved in the “work with the interior and exterior getting a thorough going-over with repairs and redecorations. Some alterations were made to the interior, the roof repaired, electric wiring renewed and floors refinished” (Improvements completed, 1935, p. 5). The total expenditure was $9,813. The family of the governor was moved from one suite of rooms to another as rooms were renovated one-by-one. Lena Brock supervised the renovation job, and as part of the process, secured a pre-Civil War table c.1840 for use in the mansion library.
$220,000 is Expended on State Repair Work for First Two Months. (Sep 28, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
Allocation of Funds is Made. (Oct 11, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 14.
Clarion-Ledger. (Feb 18, 1935). p. 5.
Improvements by ERA and State Program Completed. (Mar 14, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3, 5.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Nov 22, 2019 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Jackson&County=Any
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 23, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE