Goose Island State Park Concession BuildingThe CCC hand cast blocks made with oyster shells for the concession building.
Goose Island State Park is on Aransas Bay near Rockport, Texas. The 321.4-acre park was acquired in 1931-1935 by deeds from private owners and a legislative act setting aside the state-owned Goose Island as a state park. The park is currently administered by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1801 performed initial development work on Goose Island State Park during two six-month periods in 1934 and 1935. The CCC worked in clearing undergrowth, planting trees, and caring for “Big Tree,” a 1000 year old coastal live oak thought to be one of the largest in the nation. The CCC also built the entrance portal, concession building (currently the recreation hall), picnic units, bridges, camp shelters with fireplaces and drainage systems.
The concession building was built from blocks that were cast by hand on site using a mixture made from oyster shells mixed with cement. They also improved an existing road that became Park Road 13 and access roads, paving them with crushed oyster shells.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on June 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE