In 1938, the Public Works Administration (PWA) allotted $58,900 for divorcements sewers in the Good Hope Road area. The new sewers began in Anacostia Park, “midway between the Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge and the Eleventh Street Bridge,” and then ran “southeastward to Naylor road” (Evening Star, 1938).
Work on the project started on December 12, 1938 and was completed on May 27, 1939. These new divorcement sewers were part of a city-wide New Deal effort to extend the city sewer system and separate sanitary and storm sewers, and introduce unified sewage treatment for the first time to reduce the contamination of the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
“Half-Year Bills Urged In Request For Water Funds,” Evening Star, August 18, 1938, pp. B-1 and B-13.
“Sewer Tunnel Is Being Blasted Through Rock Under M Street,” Evening Star, July 17, 1939, p. B-1.
Report of the Government of the District of Columbia, For the Year Ended June 30, 1939, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1940, p. 108.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on February 24, 2020.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE