Public Stables, Golden Gate Park - San Francisco CA
As part of extensive improvements around Golden Gate Park in San Francisco CA, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built horse stables for public use in 1939.
The four stables are built of wood and arranged in a U around what is now a parking lot. They were renovated around the turn of the millennium and are still in active use.
The public stables, like the nearby police stables, are located close to the park’s Polo Field.
Healy, Clyde E. San Francisco Improved: Report of Clyde E. Healy, Assistant City Engineer - City of San Francisco and Coordinator of W.P.A. Projects, Period October 10, 1935 to August 31, 1939. San Francisco : [s.n.]., 1939. p. 70.
Timothy Keegan. "W.P.A. Construction in San Francisco (1935-1942)." The Argonaut Vol. 14, No. 1, Spring 2003. online at: https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=W.P.A._Construction_in_San_Francisco_%281935-1942%29
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 17, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE