“The Golden Cemetery was the site of the major community effort, in concert with the Civil Works Administration and Works Progress Administration, to beautify, modernize and reclaim the cemetery grounds. Its transformation via federal public works projects during the 1930s was part of an important pattern of events that made a significant contribution to the development of the Golden area community that has lasted to this day. While many American communities took advantage of the aid in improvements the federal public works agencies of the Great Depression had to offer, Golden was particularly aggressive in pursuing funding for numerous projects…The Golden Cemetery is a premier example this pattern, both of grassroots community efforts and of Depression-era federal works projects in the region. It is emblematic of the major effort Golden made to utilize public works projects to improve the city during the Great Depression, and this event has shaped the cemetery to this day… Cemetery improvements, featuring CWA and WPA work, decisively changed the cemetery’s course from its past as a wilderness to the manicured landscape used and appreciated today.” (goldenco.granicus.com)
In addition to general cemetery improvements, the cemetery’s Shelter House was constructed by the CWA in 1933-34.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE