Glenn Highway, from Anchorage to Matanuska (Palmer): “One of the major road projects in 1935 and 1936 [in Alaska] was the completion of the Anchorage to Matanuska Road, or Palmer Highway, which later became part of the Glenn Highway, with funds from the FERA. Begun as a joint project by the ARC [Alaska Roads Commission] and the City of Anchorage in the 1920s, and called the Anchorage Loop or the Anchorage-Eagle River Road the ARC took over its maintenance and began improving and extending it from Anchorage to the communities of Chugiak and Peters Creek in 1933. In 1935, the Matanuska Colony project near Palmer provided a reason to complete the Anchorage-Palmer Highway to transport agricultural products from the Matanuska Valley to markets in Anchorage.”
Mead & Hunt, and Cultural Resource Consultants, LLC, Alaska Roads Historic Overview: Applied Historic Context of Alaska’s Roads, Prepared for Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, 2014, p. 66-67. (http://dnr.alaska.gov/Assets/uploads/DNRPublic/parks/oha/publications/akroadshistoricoverview.pdf)
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee & Evan Kalish on May 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE