Gillespie County Courthouse
Built in the Moderne style, the Gillespie County Courthouse was completed in July 1939. There is a plaque just inside the front door that attributes the construction to the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
Construction began on the courthouse in September 1938 after an election in August approved the issuance of bonds for the project. The federal government would contribute $65,450 to the construction of the building; this represented approximately 45% of the cost of the building.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 96, July 1992 - April, 1993, Ron Tyler, editor, Journal/Magazine/Newsletter, 1993; digital images, (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101215/ : accessed January 25, 2014), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association, Denton, Texas.
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on February 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE