“The first building built under the “Civil Works Administration” was the Naval Armory. Constructed on the site of the temporary gym that burned in 1931, the Armory Building was a “no-frills” building. The building was to serve the Atlanta Naval Reserve, the Georgia Tech Naval ROTC unit, and the Communication Reserve of the U. S. Navy. By February of 1934, the foundations were almost completed and all of the labor for this project was being supplied by the Civilian Works Administration.”
The building was demolished in 1980 to make way for the Edge Athletic Center building.
The Architectural Development of Georgia Tech: A Thesis Presented To The Faculty of the Division of Graduate Studies, by Warren E. Drury III. June 1984 (pg. 166) http://group20.pbworks.com/f/drury_warren_e_198405_ms_277217.pdf http://nrotc.gatech.edu/history-of-the-nrotc-unit-at-georgia-tech/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 15, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE