Later known as Heisman Gym, Georgia Tech’s old Auditorium / Gymnasium Building was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building “was projected to be built in two phases with the first costing $93,000 and the second $116,000. It was the “first completely reinforced concrete structure on campus, began in June of 1935,” The Auditorium was completed in January 1936. “The building’s second phase of construction was completed and dedicated on September 30, 1938, with a swimming pool section, financed by Georgia Tech, and completed in June of 1939.” The WPA contributed to the latter stage of construction.
The building was demolished; it was located by what are now the northern stands of Bobby Dodd Stadium.
The Architectural Development of Georgia Tech: A Thesis Presented To The Faculty of the Division of Graduate Studies, by Warren E. Drury III. June 1984 (pg. 172-3) http://group20.pbworks.com/f/drury_warren_e_198405_ms_277217.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 15, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE