George Washington Middle School - Alexandria VA
George Washington Middle School in Alexandria, VA was completed in 1936. It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) with a grant of $300,000 made in 1933.
It was originally the George Washington High School, which replaced two prior high schools in the city, Alexandria HS and George Mason HS.
The building is a good example of brick Moderne architecture, with low-relief column between the windows and a monumental entrance flanked by columns with eagle heads at the top.
The school was converted to a middle school in 1971 as part of a reorganization of the Alexandria City Public Schools System. A new wing was added at some point and the architecture echoes the design of the original building.
In addition, the Index to WPA Projects at the National Archives shows the approval of a Work Progress Administration (WPA) project to grade and level Mason High School playgrounds in 1936.
Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, Projects Division, Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, January 3, 1940, p. 118.
"Nearby Projects Receive Approval of Public Works," Evening Star, November 3, 1933, p. B-1 (accessed March 21, 2020).
Virginia Department of Historic Resources, PIF Resource Information Sheet, for "George Washington High School (now George Washington Middle School)," ca. 2015, p. 8, citing “City Council Award Contract for School: Firm Doyle and Russell of Richmond to Erect Building,” Alexandria Gazette, August 1, 1934, p. 1 (accessed March 21, 2020).
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on June 10, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE