Caddo Mounds Archaeological SurveySource: (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/25848842070/) National Archives and Records Administration digitized by the Historic Sites and Structures Program, Texas State Parks, Public Domain
For two years, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), under the leadership of University of Texas at Austin archaeologists, excavated an area known as the George C. Davis Site (41CE19). The site yielded artifacts from the Caddoan Mississippian culture that existed there from 800 A.D. to 1300 A.D. The archaeologists also found artifacts from the Spanish colonial era in Texas (1690-1821 A.D.) as the site was along the El Camino Real de los Tejas. The artifacts are held by the Texas Archaeological Research Laboratory at The University of Texas at Austin. The official WPA project number was 65-1-66-2594.
The George C. Davis Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1970. The excavation site is now part of the Caddo Mounds State Historic Site.
Note cards on historical photographs from the National Archives and Records Administration digitized by the Historic Sites and Structures Program, Texas State Parks (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department):
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157666476697616), accessed April 24, 2018.
Archeological Investigations at the George C. Davis Site (41CE19):
(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308401823_Archeological_Investigations_at_the_George_C_Davis_Site_41CE19), accessed April 24, 2018.
Texas Historic Sites Atlas: (https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Details/2070000742), accessed April 24, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 27, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE