Building #27, satellite viewCCC-built garage in Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District, satellite view
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a garage in what is now known as the Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District.
National Register of Historic Places nomination form, 1988:
Warehouse, NPS Bldg #27, probably designed by Ken Saunders, architect, Branch of Plans and Design, Regional Office, Santa Fe; erected in 1940 by CCC workers; formerly also used for storage of supplies and equipment, and as a radio and electric shop, as well as a garage; still used as a garage.
Simplified New Mexican Territorial Revival Style; one-story; rectangular plan measuring about 97′ x 25′; beige-colored stuccoed adobe walls; flat asphalted roof; concrete floor; stuccoed interior walls. The 12 windows are steel fixed multi-lite panes inset with projected windows of 4 lites. The interior contains 3 wall divisions built of wood. The front of the building is entirely open but originally contained large wooden doors. Wooden canales drain the roof. The building is in good condition.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form:
https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/88001173_text (accessed Apr. 9, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE