The Department of Parks acquired this land, later named the Galapo Playground, in 1940 and announced the completion of a playground on the site in July 1941:
“New concrete walks have been centered in the 24′ sidewalk area along Avenue “V” and Bedford Avenue with a row of pin oaks on each side in panels of concrete blocks. Continuous sections of benches have been placed against the Avenue “V” property line fence adjacent to the entrances. A concrete walk extends along East 24 Street and Gravesend Neck Road with a single row of trees spaced in a concrete block strip adjacent to the playground fence. Two groups of benches are placed between the trees along Gravesend Neck Road.
The playground is subdivided into three units by two concrete block paved panels with a double row of benches spaced between the shade trees. The surface of the area is smooth bituminous macadam.
A brick comfort station and recreation building has been built in the large central compartment between the two entrances from Avenue “V”. A 32′ diameter shower basin is centered in a large open space north of the building. The subdivision along Bedford Avenue, reserved for pre-school children contains see-saws, slides and chair-swings protected by a chain link fence. A sand pit irrigated to permit the sand to be cleaned is in the southeast corner bounded by benches. The smallest of the three units, lying at the tapered end of the plot along East 24 Street contains a pipe frame exercise unit, two play slides and swings for older children.
The playground was constructed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
Galapo Playground was further renovated in 1997 and 2011.
Department of Parks, Press Release, July 22, 1941 NYC Parks - Galapo Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 11, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE