Site under construction.
The G. B. Cooley Tuberculosis sanatorium was constructed by the Works Progress Administration. It was located at Pine Top, seven miles from Monroe, Louisiana, or at White’s Ferry, 3 1/2 miles from Monroe, depending on source. The WPA provided $66,303 and the community and Tuberculosis and Public Health Association raised the remaining $10,000 for the project. The sanatorium was spearheaded by efforts of Captain G. B. Cooley of Monroe. The central structure was two stories with one-story wings on each side, approximately 7,000 square feet. The wings contained 11 bedrooms on each side, with one wing for men and one for women. Work began November 4, 1935, and about 85 men were employed on the project.
The Ruston Daily Leader. (1 November 1935). West Monroe to get T. B. Sanitarium [sic]. Page 5. Retrieved from newspapers.com The Ruston Daily Leader. (24 June 1937). Cooley Sanitorium [sic] may open by fall. Page 1. Retrieved from newspapers.com The Ruston Daily Leader. (15 May 1937). Works Progress Administration. Page 4. State Library of Louisiana. Retrieved from http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cgi-bin/queryresults.exe?&CISOROOT1=/LWP&CISOFIELD1=object&CISOBOX1=wp004729
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on July 19, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE