Crowds at the Rockaway Avenue subway station openingBrooklyn Daily Eagle photo of the Rockaway Avenue subway station opening
The Fulton Street branch of New York City’s Eighth Avenue Independent Subway (IND) was constructed during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. On April 9, 1936, nine stations opened in Brooklyn, extending the reach of the subway four miles from downtown Brooklyn to Rockaway Avenue near East New York, primarily along Fulton Street.
"New Fulton St. Subway Branch Opened Today by Mayor"; The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Weds., April 8, 1936 (pages 1, 3). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND_Fulton_Street_Line
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE