Frederiksted Hospital Employee Carrying Water From the Pump in 1941Original caption reads: "Drinking water at the Frederiksted hospital must be carried from this pump up to the kitchen on the third floor to be boiled." Source: Photographer Jack Delano, Historic American Buildings Survey, Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. Call Number: LC-USF34- 047047-D.
The Works Progress Administration built a new cistern and carried out the repairs and extension of the water and sewer systems, at Frederiksted Hospital.
The plaque placed in 2004 by the St. Croix Historic Preservation Commission at the site of the former hospital reads: “Frederiksted Hospital – Erected as a 2-story town house in 1803 by the DaCosta family, this sturdy building has been greatly modified over the years. Major alterations occurred in the 1930’s, when the residence was converted into Frederiksted’s main hospital.”
National Archives, RG 55, Records of the Government of the Virgin Islands, Annual Reports of the Governor and subordinate offices, 1938-39, Box 6. [Annual Report of the Public Works Department] Waymarking, Frederiksted Hospital, accessed July 11, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on September 5, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE