Fredericksburg Public School Travis Street entrance, Fredericksburg, TexasFredericksburg Public School Travis Street entrance, Fredericksburg, Texas
Fredericksburg received a WPA grant of $4,954 in 1939 to improve the campus and athletic field at the Fredericksburg Public School (now Fredericksburg Middle School). The school agreed to a dollar-for-dollar match and the seniors of 1938 donated $200 from their yearbook fund to help complete the project. The native flagstone wall in front of the school (Travis Street) would be dedicated to them.
Other improvements were an arch built over the east entrance and re-paving of the driveway. The athletic field would have drainage enhancements and new sod, a fifty-inch-high fence built along College Street, a cinder tract around the playing field, and construction of a 600 seat grandstand. Local businessmen would donate lighting and the new facility was dedicated on October 26, 1939.
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on December 20, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE