The Department of Parks announced the opening of what is now the Frederick Johnson Park on March 31, 1939. The press release explained:
“The 150 Street and Seventh Avenue area obtained by the Department of Parks from the Board of Transportation for an indefinite period has been developed to include 8 tennis courts, 9 handball courts, a volley ball court as well as a sitting area for mothers and guardians of small children. The sitting area is surrounded by continuous rows of benches under shade trees with two separate sand pits for youngsters to play in. This area is adjacent to the play area opened at the Harlem Housing site on November 26, 1937.”
The playground also contained a “brick comfort station.” It was “performed by the Works Progress Administration, but planned and inspected by the Department of Parks.”
The park was expanded in 1947. The eight tennis courts, eight handball courts and a playground are still in use today. The park was partially renovated in the 1990s.
Department of Parks, Press Release, March 31, 1939 NYC Parks - Frederick Johnson Playground
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 21, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE