The Department of Parks announced the opening of what is now the Fred Samuel Playground on March 31, 1939. The press release explained:
“The area located on the west side of Lenox Avenue between 139 and 140 Streets is adjacent to Public School 139, Manhattan and was the first parcel of ground purchased jointly by the Park Department and the Board of Education and developed in collaboration to the advantage of both departments. Besides being completely equipped with play apparatus the area also provides facilities for handball, basketball, paddle tennis, roller skating hockey and ice skating in the winter when subfreezing temperatures permit.”
The playground also contained a “brick comfort station.” It was “performed by the Works Progress Administration, but planned and inspected by the Department of Parks.”
The playground was operated jointly by Parks and P.S. 139 until the school moved in the 1980s. It was renovated in 1992.
Department of Parks, Press Release, March 31, 1939 NYC Parks - Fred Samuel Playground
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 21, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE