“In 1936, CCC and WPA workers gathered on a scruffy piece of logged off timberland to build the Franklin Lake Campground…
CCC enrollees from Camp Ninemile in Vilas County worked with the National Park Service to create landscape, trails, roads, and campsites, while WPA workers from the Warvet camp in Vilas County constructed buildings. The campground includes 42 campsites, a picnic area, swimming beach, and ten buildings. The plan adopted Rustic style aesthetics blending manmade elements, such as trails and buildings, into the natural lakeside setting. The buildings’ Rustic logs, stones, open porches, wide overhangs, and exposed rafters reflect the beauty of the landscape in which they are placed.
The Franklin Lake Campground is the largest grouping of Rustic style buildings in Wisconsin’s National Forests, and is virtually unaltered. The campground is seasonally operated and open the public.”
Project originally submitted by Erin TerBeek on October 2, 2012.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE