The Franklin Academy Elementary School was constructed on the site of the state’s oldest public school, Franklin Academy. PWA project x1306 approved a grant of $117,000 9/26/1938. Construction began 12/1/1938 and was completed 12/1/1939 for a total cost of $260,154. Architect R. W. Naef designed the 2 1/2 story brick Colonial Revival building constructed by Daniel Construction Company. The building featured a “two-story pedimented portico supported on continuious Tuscan columns, rusticated brick quoins, and square central tower with octagonal cupola” (P’Pool, 1979, p. 17). The building remains in use as a school.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Nov. 26, 2019 from:
P'Pool, K. (Sept. 5, 1979). Columbus Central Commercial Historic District National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service: United States Department of the Interior.
New school slated on site of state’s first public hall. (Nov. 14, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 6.
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 106.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 26, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE