Francis Park WPA Bridge
The land on which St. Louis Hills was developed was owned by David Francis, former governor of Missouri and ambassador to Russia in 1916. He donated 60 acres of land for the park in 1917. It was developed as a WPA project with tennis courts, buildings, walkways, ball fields, lily pond, handball and racquetball courts, and bridges. Originally, land owned by David Francis was considered as the site for the St. Louis World’s fair of 1904, but Forest Park was the site chosen.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on April 6, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE