"The Disbursement of Tax Dollars"
This building has multiple murals, including two by Eugene Savage entitled “The Receiver of Taxes,” “The Disbursement of Tax Dollars” and an unnamed mural (all pictured here). They were created 1937, likely with funding from the Federal Art Project [confirmation needed].
The building also contains several other murals painted by different artists (including the unnamed mural pictured here), all under the supervision of Savage and composed between 1937 and 1939. Covering 2,500 square feet, they “depict scenes from the European discovery of America through the settlement of western Indiana” (Indiana Business News). The murals are currently undergoing restoration, which can be seen on the images below with white paneling over them.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on August 17, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE