Fossil Gymnasium - Entrance
WPA funds and workers constructed the two-story Fossil Elementary School gymnasium in 1936, adjacent to the Fossil Grade School which was built in 1924. The well-used facility changed in appearance in 1949 when it received a layer of asbestos siding. Community fund-raising and a donation from the Oregon Community Foundation returned the structure to its original appearance during the summer of 2013 with the removal of the asbestos and the application of a new coat of paint by volunteers.
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office Inventory:
Interview with Bob Cramer, former Financial Officer of Wheeler County & resident of Fossil, Oregon. June 13, 2014.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 16, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE