In 1942, the Washington Post reported the approval of $11,200 in funding for the Federal Works Agency (FWA) to build or make improvements to the former Stevens Playground, now Fort Stevens Recreation Center. The work may have included tennis courts and play fields, but it has not been confirmed that the work was completed or which part of the present facility is New Deal, if any.
Note that this is a few blocks north of the other Fort Stevens New Deal work site.
“Lanham Act projects are approved,” Washington Post, October 15, 1942, p. B1
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 17, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE