The fort dates back the early nineteenth century, when it was used to “promote and protext the interests of the United States in the region’s fur trade” (historicfortsnelling.org). Between 1938 and 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site, including sidewalks, sewers, porches, and garages.
National Park Service:
“Fort Snelling benefited from New Deal programs such as the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The programs provided funding for a general reconditioning of the fort, including landscaping and infrastructure. Workers graded and resurfaced existing roads, built new sidewalks and curbs and installed new sewer and water mains. They removed trees and cleared brush, drained swamps, and built a running track and multiple baseball diamonds. Repairs to several barracks buildings, officers’ quarters, and the frontier fort’s retaining wall were also completed. New construction projects included 200 garage spaces, a two story addition to the quartermasters building, a bakery, barracks, and a telephone exchange. During the 1930’s, the Fort employed 200 to 300 active members of the CCC and WPA.”
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-A. http://www.fortsnelling.org/history/historical-timeline/item/55-wpa-makeover, accessed October 30, 2014. http://www.historicfortsnelling.org/history, accessed October 30, 2014
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on November 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE