Satellite view of Fort Slocum Park - Washington DC
In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted cleanup efforts at Fort Slocum Park, on the site of a Civil War-era fort, in the district’s northeastern quadrant. Crews removed underbrush, poisonous plants, and dead trees to make the rustic park more salubrious for public use.
The outline of the old earthworks of Fort Slocum are clearly visible in satellite view.
District of Columbia Works Progress Administration, “Improving Parks of Capital,” Work: A Journal of Progress, Vol. 1, No. 1, Sept. 1936, p. 10
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 5, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE