Fort Rice Stone Cairn Historic Site Marker
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) began to restore the foundation of Fort Rice and build replica structures on the historic site in 1937.
Located eighteen miles south of Mandan in Morton County, Fort Rice was originally built as an Army post during the Civil War. The WPA mapped out a program of improvement for both the site and the North Dakota State Park system more generally.
“No structures remain but there are markers for the site and individual building locations. The main marker is enclosed in a stone shelter. Two replica blockhouses were constructed by the WPA in the 1930s, but they no longer exist, only the foundations can be seen.”
According to the North Dakota State Historical Society, “[v]isitors will see depressions, foundation lines, and WPA corner markers. A brief history of the fort and a map appear on a site marker. Parking space is available, but there are no visitor services.”
“Improvement Program for North Dakota State Parks,” Parks & Recreation. June 1937.
“Fort Rice,” FortWiki. https://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_Rice_(1)
“Fort Rice State Historic Site,” State Historical Society of North Dakota. https://www.history.nd.gov/historicsites/rice/
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on April 5, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE