Fort Pike During WPA Restoration
WPA photos and captions from the 1930s show that the WPA helped restore the historic Fort Pike site in the 1930s. The 1938 WPA guide to the city of New Orleans describes the site:
“Fort Pike, 36.1 m., occupies the site of a fortification built by Spanish Governor Carondelet, in 1793. The present fort was constructed under Andrew Jackson (1814) and later occupied by Confederates, but so far as is known no engagement ever took place here. Massive ramparts and winding passages lend a feudal atmosphere. Fort Pike was rehabilitated in 1935 and is now maintained as a State park.” (New Orleans City Guide)
New Orleans city guide, written and compiled by the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the city of New Orleans http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FortPikeWPA19373.jpg http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FortPikeWPA19376.jpg http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/LWP/id/4151/rec/3 National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-B. Old New Orleans website
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 24, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE