Fort McCoy gate
From 1935-1941, the WPA worked on projects directly supporting the United States Military. In Wisconsin, the WPA along with the U.S. War Department worked on a $22,000 building project that saw them build 6 wood buildings and two stone gates in 1940 to 1941. The two stone gates are the only remaining structures that still stand today. This gate was called the Highway 16 gate as it was built just off of Highway 16 on County Highway A. This gate served as the main gate for Camp McCoy on a road which was created when the base opened in 1909. The gate itself spans 250 feet from end to end and has been kept in amazing condition. Some time after the new cantonment area North of highway 21 was completed after 1942, the gate was no longer used as the main gate but served as the Southern entrance to South Post. Today there is a historic marker next to the gate describing the WPA’s support of the post in 1940-1941.
Project originally submitted by Doug Halvorsen on January 16, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE