Fort Loudoun Reconstructed Barracks
Fort Loudoun was in operation from 1756 to 1760, when it was captured by the Cherokee. It fell to ruin until 1917 when it was recognized as an historic site. In 1933, the Tennessee General Assembly purchased the fort and created the Fort Loudoun Association, which managed it until the Tennessee State Parks purchased it in 1977. From 1935 to 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook restoration and archaeological work under the “Fort Loudoun Restoration Project,” with plans to reconstruct the fort “as based on historical and archeological research.” (wikipedia)
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-B. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Loudoun_%28Tennessee%29, accessed November 4, 2014. http://fortloudoun.com/history/, accessed November 4, 2014.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on November 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE