Fort Lafayette, New York Harbor
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the facilities at Fort Lafayette, located in an island off Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, during the early 1940s. One project involved “removing and replacing deck, sheathing, stringers, camps, bracing, fenders, and piles; improving baffles, painting, grading, filling,” and performing other related work.
“Upon the close of the War, Fort Lafayette no longer had a role in military operations, and fell in to a state of disrepair. In 1948, the Fort was transferred to the City of New York. It was demolished in 1960, and in its footprint was built a colossal tower rising 693 feet into the air, belonging to, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.” (Secret Staten Island)
National Archives; Record Group 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration; Records of the Project Control Division; microfilm publication T937; roll 11. http://www.secretsi.com/2012/02/25/35/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 17, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE