Fort KnoxPainting of Fort Knox
Fort Knox is a massive granite fort built to protect the Penobscot river in the aftermath of the failure of the US to protect river towns and the valuable lumber trade from British depredations during the Revolution, the War of 1812, and northern border tensions around 1838-39. Construction began in 1844 and continued until 1869. It was used intermittently and never saw action. In 1923, the US military sold it as surplus to the State of Maine for $2,121.
During 1935-1936, a work crew from the Ellsworth CCC Co. 159 helped transform the fort into a major tourist destination. According to the November 1936 issue of Brann News, the camp newspaper lists work accomplished: “picnic area, reforestation, road construction, drainage in fort itself, Spring development, table and bench combinations, fireplaces, reconstruction of the retaining wall on the river side of the fort, repairing masonry work, in the interior of the fort.”
The fort has been a Maine state historic site since 1943.
November 1936 Brann News.
Project originally submitted by Andre Laverdiere on May 2, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE