Dating from WWI, Fort Dix [or, as it was known during the pre-WWII era, Camp Dix] provided training for soldiers enlisted in the U.S. Army. According to a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Information Division document, the WPA engaged in “Campwide improvement to grounds, including grading, checking of soil erosion, improvements to drainage to eliminate mud, and clearing fire trails and brush; construction of target pits and machine gun range, landing field, one mile of railroad. Construction or repair of garage, motor repair shop, schools, tent floors, incinerator, sawmill, woodshop, quarters, storage buildings, mess hall, cold storage plant, hospital, airport buildings, disposal plant, improvements of water supply system, clearing of ditches as mosquito-control measure.” (National Archives.)
Recreational facilities, such as a swimming pool, were also included. In all, funding for WPA projects on post totaled in the millions of dollars, making Camp Dix the site of one of the largest New Deal operations in New Jersey. Thorough project details can be found at the DoD Heritage Assessment cited below.
Projects extended onto what became McGuire Air Force Base, though the military reservation is now known as Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst (JB MDL).
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 11, Folder 240-A.
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (pages C-114 to C-116).
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on October 30, 2014.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE