Between 1935 and 1938, the WPA performed structural renovation and historic restoration work at this site. From the Bridger Valley Pioneer:
One of the Valley projects funded by WPA was the artesian well in Fort Bridger. It still runs today, but sits in a sad state of disrepair. A local group, the Fort Bridger Beautification Committee working as a state centennial committee approached the Uinta County Commissioners to be able to improve the lot and make the well site a nice area for the community. The committee even received state grant to improve a small portion of the available property.
After the well was drilled, it was used by many of the Valley people. They would fill their tanks at the well, use them at home and return and fill them again. The well also was the source of water for the existing motel and café, then owned by Mike and Inez Erich. In addition, the well provided water for the airport.
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-B.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on July 28, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE