Arlington Catonment ca 1930
Originally known as the Arlington Cantonment and then as South Post, this area was a part of Fort Myer. In 1940, WPA labor was used to: “Construct, improve and rehabilitate buildings, including installing plumbing, heating and electrical facilities, public utility systems, water supply and purification, water and sewer lines, roads and walks at Arlington Cantonment, grade and drain grounds, perform incidental and appurtenant work.”
South Post has since been demolished and the grounds have become a part of Arlington National Cemetery, located directly adjacent to the rest of Fort Myer.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.” http://www.fortmyervamemories.com/arlingtoncantonment.html
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 22, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE