Listed among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects in Mississippi in 1942 was the Clinton School complex (Progress public works in state). “The old elementary building at this campus was built as the last gasp of the Federal Works Agency and maintained its Colonial Revival style and intact auditorium space” (Mississippi Landmarks, 2010). When the school system abandoned the buildings on the site in favor of new construction, they were purchased by Mississippi College, who demolished them in 2013 to construct new residences for student housing (City of Clinton Planning and Zoning Commission, 2013; Mississippi College constructs new residence halls in 2014). The school was designated a Mississippi Landmark shortly before Mississippi College purchased the complex.
Progress public works in state. August 10, 1942. Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 3. Mississippi Landmarks 2010. (December 29, 2010). Preservation in Mississippi. Retrieved from http://misspreservation.com/2010/12/29/mississippi-landmarks-2010/ City of Clinton Planning and Zoning Commission. (October 22, 2013). Minutes. Retrieved from http://www.clintonms.org/files/5113/9172/.../PZ_10-22-13.pdf Mississippi constructs new residence halls in 2014. (December 20, 2013). Mississippi College. Retrieved from http://www.mc.edu/news/mississippi-college-constructs-new-residence-halls-2014/
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on October 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE