Fort Worth City Hall-Public Safety & Courts Building
The old Fort Worth City Hall (now used as the Public Safety and Courts Building) was constructed by the PWA in 1938:
“Fort Worth, like many other communities, utilized federal relief funds to upgrade its civic infrastructure during the Depression. In the case of the 1938 City Hall, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided approximately forty-five per cent of the $500,000 construction cost, and the balance was funded by a city bond issue…The 1893 Victorian city hall was demolished so that the site could be used for this building, and construction began in December 1937…
The Classical or “PWA” Moderne building is four stories tall with a full basement and sub-basement. In the words of Walter A. Koons, regional counsel for the PWA who spoke at the dedication, it is ‘sturdy, unpretentious, yet impressive.'” (Fort Worth’s Legendary Landmarks)
Roark, Carol. 1985. "Fort Worth's Legendary Landmarks." Texas Christian University Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on March 25, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE