In September 1941, the WPA completed the reconstruction of Victory Field in Forest Park in Queens. The press release announcing the completion of the work described the project:
“This 12 acre athletic field dedicated to the unknown soldier of the first World War, replaces the former inadequate facilities which consisted of a cinder running track overcrowded with dirt surfaced baseball diamonds. The new development will provide a well rounded recreational area for the use of all the residents of this section of Queens.
The entire field is enclosed by double fencing consisting of an outer wrought iron picket fence separated from a chain link fence by a tree planted grass panel. Access to the five main fence enclosed areas from the boundary sidewalks is provided by seven entrances on Myrtle Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard.
A grass surfaced baseball field and concrete bleacher is located at the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard. The track and field events area occupies the east half of the development…
West of the track is a large bituminous surfaced open play area which will be used alternately for roller and ice skating, dancing and softball. South of this area facing Park Drive is a battery of seven handball courts. These two areas are floodlighted for night use. A small square sitting area with a central memorial flagpole centers on one of the main entrances from Woodhaven Boulevard south of the renovated comfort station. Benches under oriental plane and pin oak trees in block paved panels extend along the fences separating these areas…
These projects were constructed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
Victory Field is still in use.
Department of Parks, Press Release, September 30, 1941 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 22, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE