The Public Works Administration W1183 funded constructing for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools in 1938-1939. Forest Hill School used funds to construct a vocational building, auditorium, gymnasium, and home for the vocational teacher. They used a $24,000 bond issue to supplement the PWA funding for a loan of 151,986 toward estimated cost of all 5 schools of $337,746, approved 6/22/1938. Bids were advertised October 1938; first contract awarded 11/10/38; construction began 11/14/1938; and was completed 12/4/1939 for a total of 322,153. The school was demolished in 1987.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved August 13, 2020 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Any&County=Hinds
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi, January 3, 1940, p. 105. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division.
Hinds School Work Among PWA Projects Given Okeh. (June 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
School Districts to Vote on Bonds. (Oct. 8, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
PWA Aided in Construction of 228 School Buildings in State; Complete List Given. (Sep 25, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 14, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE