“At Jacksonville Beach, a new two-story brick high school was financed in part by PWA funds. Designed by Marsh & Saxelbye, the building was assembled by the Frank Mitchell Construction Company in 1937 at an approximate cost of $75,000. The new school was named Duncan U. Fletcher High School in memory of one of Florida’s most successful politicians of the early-twentieth century. Fletcher High School was among the largest New Deal projects built at Duval County’s beaches area during the 1930s, perhaps rivaled only by Public School No. 65 in nearby Atlantic Beach, a WPA project.”
The school is now known as the Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School.
National Register of Historic Places, Multiple Property Documentation Form: pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/64500918.pdf (.pdf page 37)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 18, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE