The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted $1,375 in improvement work on the “federal fish hatchery” in San Angelo, Texas. Living New Deal believes this to be what became known as Fish Hatchery No. 1, a property now managed by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department.
Charles Cruz: “No. 1 was located at the southern end of town near the Goodfellow AFB. It was constructed in 1929 and was one of the first state-run hatcheries built in Texas, producing walleye, channel catfish, largemouth bass and sunfish. The hatchery ceased operation in the late 1980s, and reopened in the early 1990s only to close for good a few years later.”
San Angelo Evening Standard, Feb. 8, 1935 (pg. 3): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/779344175/ (accessed Apr. 10, 2022)
"CHARLES CRUZ: Fish hatcheries get modern makeover," https://archive.gosanangelo.com/sports/charles-cruz-fish-hatcheries-get-modern-makeover-ep-441052878-357391101.html/ (accessed Apr. 10, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 10, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE