Bridge over Francis Creek, Firemen's Park - Ferndale CA
In 1941-42, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made major improvements to the Municipal Park in Ferndale, today known as the Firemen’s Park. According to the WPA project card, the improvements consisted of building a softball field with bleachers, reconstructing a recreation hall, adding picnic tables and fireplaces, and changing the channel of Francis Creek.
The baseball field, bleachers and recreation hall are all still in place, though altered through the intervening years. The ball field is dedicated to local sports hero, Carl Oeschger, who enjoyed success as a pitcher in the major leagues in the 1920s. The recreation hall appears to be in good shape, with part of it used as a children’s play center.
The current picnic area is clearly new. There is a small bridge over Francis Creek that looks to be WPA work, but this is unverified.
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on June 8, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE