Fire Station No. 1 LocationFire Station No. 1 Location
The Civil Works Administration was involved in repairs to this former downtown fire station. 23 fire stations in the city were classed “A” projects 37-C-715 “needing general minor repairs, having sufficient sound value left in them to justify a thorough repairing, on which buildings was included painting inside and outside where needed, general carpentry repairs, including doors, windows, and repairs to floors, or new floors; general repairs to masonry work and plaster or stucco, repairs to roof and sheet metal work, or new roof and sheet metal work installed. Plumbing, heating and wiring were put in good state of repair, and all minor changes such as moving partitions, or relocation of door or windows were made.”
According to the BHAMWIKI, Station No. 1 existed from 1881-1970 and was designed in the Italianate style of architecture popular in the 19th century by Birmingham architect D. O. Whilldin.
Report On Civil Works Administration of Alabama Jefferson County Division
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 26, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
That photo is not from 1921. The two cars in the photo are definitively from the later half of the 1930s.