Fire Station Facade
Constructed in 1939-40, the former New Orleans Fire Department Station Number 2 is one of three firehouses built by the WPA in the Crescent City in the late 1930s. Located in the Lakeview neighborhood, south of Lake Pontchartrain, it consists of a brick-clad, cross-gabled, house-type plan containing one bay. Modest regional influences are expressed through the wrought-iron porch supports and a balconette at the top of the front gable. At the rear is a lower gabled addition holding sleeping quarters. Hurricane Katrina devastated this section of the Lakeview commercial district. The fire station is one of a few buildings pre-dating the storm. Of the three firehouses built by the WPA, it is the only station still in use. It now houses New Orleans Fire Engine Company Number 18, and remains a landmark along Harrison Avenue.
New Orleans Public Library: WPA Photograph Collection.
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on December 21, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE