The former East Fairhaven fire sub-station was constructed with Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor in 1937.
W.P.A. Bulletin, 1937: “Down in the lovely little town of Fairhaven, across the harbor from New Bedford, WPA has built a new sub-fire-station at the junction of Aiken and Washington streets, adding fire protection to the town and helping reduce fire insurance rates.
Fire protection is extremely important in Fairhaven. For some of its fine old mansions were built by whaling skippers and could not be replaced, once destroyed. The fire station project was begun last July, completed Oct. 25.”
Much of Washington Street in Fairhaven has since been re-designated as Huttleston Avenue, along what is now Route 6, and Aiken Street has since had its spelling modified; hence the fire station is located at the southeast corner of the intersection of what are now Huttleston Ave. and Akin St., in East Fairhaven. The building is still municipally owned.
Works Progress Bulletin, Massachusetts: Dec. 15, 1937 (pg. 2) http://archive.org/details/worksprogressbul3637unit Local historical society
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 6, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE