The federal Public Works Administration provided a $182,970 grant for the construction of a new headquarters building for Rochester, New York’s Fire Department during the Great Depression. Construction began November 1935. The project was completed at a total cost of $404,319 in May 1937. (PWA Docket No. NY [W]1154.)
“Rochester Fire Department Headquarters and Shops is a historic fire department complex located at Rochester in Monroe County, New York. The complex incorporates two structures: the headquarters building and shops building. The Headquarters Building is triangular in plan and is two stories in height and of buff colored brick construction with light colored stone trim. The Shops Building is irregular in plan, two stories and built of the same buff colored brick as the Headquarters Building. Both structures were constructed in 1936 and incorporate glass block construction and feature Art Deco detailing.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.” (Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Fire_Department_Headquarters_and_Shops National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 25.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 30, 2014.