Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse
Project type: Education and Health, Colleges and Universities
Designers: Ashton and Evans
Contractors: George A. Whitmeyer & Sons
Quality of Information: Very Good
Site Survival: ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
The old fieldhouse, built in 1939, was home to the University of Utah basketball team for thirty years. It was built with a combination of bonded debt by the university and Public Works Administration (PWA) funds.
It appears to be used for intermural athletics today.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The building was formerly conjoined with Rice Football stadium via a roof with additional bleachers at the north end zone and a tunnel where South Campus Drive went between the two structures. The tunnel was removed when the stadium was demolished in 1997-98 and Rice Eccles Stadium was built in its place. South Campus Drive along with a light rail line now runs in open space between the field house and the stadium.
It also is undergoing a major interior renovation as of 2022.